Snow Make Smart?

Posted by Mandy at 6:51 PM

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I went to visit my brother today, and on the way home I encountered something interesting. I thought that I would be late to pick up Josh, because of a certain section of highway. We have an HOV lane running the 403 from around Winston Churchill to near the 401 connector. Normally, traffic along this part of the highway crawls at drive time, while the HOV lane seems to fly. Today, though, I never came to a stop, and rarely dipped below 60 km/h. Why, I asked myself, did traffic seem to move better in the snow, than on a sunny, dry day? I looked around me and noticed something different. Everyone was leaving space between them and the car in front. This is something that I rarely see, usually having to nose my way in to a lane. Interesting, how when we don't ride each others asses, traffic moves better! The reason for this seems to be the HOV lane itself. People stay in it until their exit is coming up, then jump out, cut three lanes across, and exit. In the snow, this is no problem, as there is usually plenty of room for them to get across. In dry weather, well the asshole in everyone takes over, and we couldn't possibly leave space between the car in front of us, as then someone else might get in there, and then we'd be further behind. Too bad though that drive time traffic today only added five minutes to my drive, simply because fear out weighed ego.

0 comments: