Thursday, October 04, 2007: Mr. Anderson, and things

Posted by Mandy at 7:41 AM

Wednesday, January 23, 2008


Mr. Anderson is fun to drive. At first, I was a little bit scared, since it's about 1.5 of my old car. Now I am whipping around corners and making full use of the .3L difference in my new engine vs. my old one. Surprisingly, the difference is immense. I don’t have to push my car into overdrive just to merge on the highway!!!! (I don’t HAVE to, that doesn’t mean I don’t.) I am quite happy, and can’t wait for a road trip. If only I could escape my family for Thanksgiving, that would give me three days of tooling around the province.

On other fronts, I’m ready to leave my job, as the frustration level isn’t worth the pay-scale. My staff members are used to having their own way in most things, as the last supervisor was a “typical Jamaican” as someone ineloquently put it. I have been fighting an uphill battle to get them to, at the very minimum, provide the kind of supervision necessary in a pre-k school. They do give results with regards to the children’s education; at least this is what I was told. I am quickly learning, though, that a lot of what I was told was lies. Fortunately one staff, who was the most resentful of my lack of favouritism, has decided to leave to take a position elsewhere. I wish her luck, and am very glad she will be out of my hair. In the end, no matter who leaves, I will have to be one of them. The staff that are here are not only older and set in their ways, but also very untrustworthy. I have walked out of my office upon hearing my name countless times, only to be greeted with a suddenly ended conversation, uncomfortable looking people, or one of the staff whispering “Amanda’s there”(I can read lips, they don’t know that). It’s enough to make the sanest person paranoid (and I started out paranoid). This is all aside from the fact that my boss constantly undermines my authority, countermands my decisions and generally stirs the pot against me. Apparently it’s part of her initiation process, but I’m not interested in being initiated. I’ve worked my ass off to get what I have today, and I don’t feel the need to prove myself constantly, or defend my decisions. In the end I don’t want to work in a place where I can trust no one, and will not be able to create honest and open relationships. Or at the very least, rule by fear, since I’ve been told that as the boss, no one will ever like me.

*le sigh*

0 comments: